A walk along 3 miles of abandoned trackbed from Nuneaton to the A5.
In 1873, a 29 mile long railway was opened between Moira West and Nuneaton. Although known as the Nuneaton and Ashby Joint Railway (N&AJR), Ashby was not on the actual railway but on the Midland Railway's Leicester - Burton line and was linked by a triangular junction at Moira West.
Although well used for freight, passenger services didn't live to expectations and timetabled passenger services ended in April 1931.
The railway continued until 1970 when British Rail finally axed the line, and the track was lifted in 1971, also one small section of line was kept after 1971 serving Tuttle Hill Quarry from Nuneaton Abbey Junction, however this was lifted in 1982.
However in 1973, part of the line reopened as The Battlefield Line
running for 4.5 miles between the Leicestershire towns of Shenton and Shackerstone with Market Bosworth in between. Several plans have been mooted over the years to extend the line South to Nuneaton but so far this hasn't come to fruition.
More info can be found at:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/candj_simmons/http://www.shackerstone-diesels.co.uk/